Many cooks are using a hint of truffle flavor to elevate all sorts of cuisine, but the most popular dish is one that might surprise you – truffle fries.
Adding a bit of truffle flavor to your fries is a great way to take a simple dish and turn it into a gourmet delicacy.
For more on the art of turning simple french fries into gourmet truffle fries – read on!
Truffle Fries: Gourmet Fries
When it comes to making gourmet fries, truffle fries are at the top of the list of recipes to use. All it takes is a little bit of seasoning, and a little bit of truffle oil.
Or, if you’re really aiming to pull out all the stops, you can even add finely diced or grated actual truffles to your dish recipes.
Once you’ve figured out the perfect recipe, you’ll have a side dish for any meal that’s both delicious and sophisticated.
How to Make Truffle Fries
Making truffle fries isn’t quite as simple as taking regular french fries and adding a dash of truffle oils or freshly grated truffles over top of it.
For the best possible results, you’ll want to add a few more steps. As to what those steps are – well, it depends on what recipe you’re using for your truffle fries.
Necessary considerations include:
- What kind of potatoes will you use?
- What equipment does a recipe use – an air fryer, deep fryer, or baking sheet?
- What sort of herbs, spices, and garnishing are you going to use?
- What kind of real truffles or truffle oils are you going to use?
Answering these questions will help you find the best recipe to use the flavor of truffles, and make the perfect truffle fries.
Tips for making truffle fries
Some suggestions for getting the best flavor for your truffle fries include:
- Use fresh-cut potatoes
- Baking can reduce saturated fat and the amount of oil you use.
- Use fresh herbs to garnish and enhance flavor.
If you’re looking for a truffle fries recipe, you can try the one below:
This truffle fries recipe is…
This Parmesan truffle fries recipe was introduced and popularized by Julie Blanner and is considered one of the better recipes out there, though there are plenty of others. It’s also one of the healthier recipes available since it uses baking sheets rather than fryers.
Baking your truffle fries is also an easier method of preparation, if you’re making homemade truffle fries, but don’t have a lot of special equipment in your kitchen, like an air fryer or tools for deep frying.
What You Need:
- Potatoes – Recommended varieties are russet potatoes or Yukon Gold
- Truffle oil – Variety of your choosing.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt
- Fresh Parsley – Used as a garnish
Making Parmesan Truffle Fries – Julie Blanner
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- You can also lightly spray the baking sheet with cooking oil if you don’t have parchment paper.
- Wash your potatoes with cold water and cut them into thin strips
- You’ll want the strips to be as close to the same size as possible, to make sure they all cook evenly. If you have a potato slicer, it will make this step easier. Note: Some people may prefer to peel their potatoes before slicing, but it’s not necessary.
- Line the baking sheet with a single layer of potatoes
- A single layer ensures they will bake more evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Use the lower rack for nice, crisp fries.
- Flip and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the fries are golden brown.
- You may want to keep an eye on your fries during this stage, at least the first time so that you can get them to that exact, perfect level of crispiness.
- Toss fries in a large bowl, or apply a little drizzle of truffle oil on the baking sheet to get that truffle flavor.
- Don’t use too much truffle oil. Truffles have a strong, distinct flavor, and a little truffle oil goes a long way to getting that perfect flavor. If you decide to use freshly grated truffles, skip this step, and add your truffles in Step 8.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan, sea salt, and parsley as a garnish
- Garnish and season to taste. Fresh parsley is the best, as fresh herbs make truffle fries with the best flavor.
Note: Flavor will change depending on whether you use black truffle oil or white truffle oil, and whether you use natural truffle oil or actual truffles. It may also be determined by the quality of the truffle oil you use.
Are Black Or White Truffles Better For Fries?
Opinions differ on whether black or white truffle oil is better for truffle fries. Similarly, there are opinions on whether white or truffles are better if you choose to use grated truffles rather than truffle oil.
The key? What type of flavor the cook is going for?
White truffles and white truffle oil tend to impart more of a subtle, garlic-type flavor to your truffle fries.
Black truffles and black truffle oil tend to impart a strong earthy flavor.
Another Way to Add Truffle Flavor to Fries
When it comes to adding truffle flavor to fries, there are three ways to manage it:
Grated Truffles: grate a little bit of fresh, real truffles over the top of your french fries.
Truffle Oil: Drizzle a little bit of truffle oil over the fries.
Most truffle oil is made with olive oil that’s been infused with truffle flavor, though it can be a different type of oil.
Truffle Salt: Truffle salt is kosher salt or sea salt that’s been mixed with small bits of grated truffles. This is the easiest way to make truffle salt.
There are also ways of infusing seasoned salt with different flavors, which may be used to add amazing flavor, including truffle flavor, to the salt.
What Truffle Oil to Use for Truffle Fries?
For the best truffle fries, you’ll want to use the highest quality truffle oil. That means high-quality olive oil, and real truffles infused into the oil.
The fresher the truffles infused into the oil, the better. A good truffle oil can be expensive, but it makes delicious fries.
What to serve truffle fries with?
Truffle fries are an excellent side dish for any type of cuisine. They’re a popular side dish for food like steaks.
How to Garnish Gourmet Fries
Garnishing gourmet fries is best used with fresh parsley or any other herbs. You’ll want the freshest herbs possible.
Parmesan cheese is also a popular garnish. Grated Parmesan cheese, especially fresh Parmesan cheese, is a delicious addition to any truffle fries recipe.
If Parmesan cheese isn’t your favorite type of cheese, you can try different cheese on your fries, and experiment with different combinations of flavors
Are Truffle Fries Vegan?
Truffle fries can be vegan. The vegan variation is fairly simple – just omit the cheese, and be sure the truffle oil used is olive oil.
How to make them vegan: omit Parmesan!
The Parmesan in Parmesan truffle fries is the only part of the recipe that keeps it from being a perfectly good vegan recipe, and a perfect side dish cuisine for any vegan meal.
Are Truffle Fries Gluten-Free?
Truffle fries can be gluten-free, so long as the individual ingredients are also gluten-free. For homemade truffle fries, it’s easy to make sure all the recipe components are gluten-free.
Homemade fries are less likely to contain additives that contain gluten. Higher-quality truffle oils are also less likely to contain gluten.
To be sure, look at the nutrition calories and components to be sure you’re getting ingredients that satisfy your dietary requirements.
Why Are Truffles So Expensive?
Truffles are a rare commodity on the food market because they’re hard to find and even harder to cultivate among farmers. Their rarity is what makes them so expensive.
Why Are Some Truffle Oils So Much More Expensive Than Others?
Truffle oils are priced based on the quality of the olive oil used as the base, as well as the quality and type of truffles used to infuse the oil with that unique flavors.
For example, many white truffles are rarer than their black truffle counterparts, which makes white truffle oil somewhat more expensive.
Can I Make My Own Truffle Oil?
It’s not impossible to make your own truffle oil, but it can be difficult. Truffles tend to lose their potency quickly after being harvested, so by the time your truffles are shipped to you, they may lack the potency to create high-quality oil.
If you want to add a little bit of unique flavor to a side dish, you can’t go wrong with golden brown fries garnished with a dash of grated Parmesan cheese, sea salt, and herbs.
There are plenty of truffle fries recipes out there on the market, and whichever you choose, you’ll find you have a delicious-tasting dish that everyone will enjoy.
- The Top Restaurants Specializing in Truffle Dishes - August 10, 2023
- Truffle Panna Cotta: A Decadent Dessert Recipe for Truffle Lovers - August 7, 2023
- Truffle Scrambled Eggs: A Luxurious Breakfast Delight - August 7, 2023